Joining a Digital learning Community 1.1.2

Why should I be a part of A Digital Learning Community?

gavsDLC

I have heard the term Digital Learning Community over and over again, I had a vague idea of how they worked. In reality, I really had no idea how broad and rich these communities could be. My exposure has really been limited to my immediate community; school, classroom, district and state. Once I started wandering around in the wide open space of the ever expanding digital pasture, I was of course, drawn to find communities that will enhance and benefit my students learning experience in and out of the classroom.

The traits that made the DLCs I chose to explore most attractive included the following:

1. It has to be free.
  2. A user friendly platform that all of my learners can benefit from, even if they do not have access to a computer at home.
  3. Multimedia options for differentiation of delivery.
  4. Ease of navigation. 
  5. Clean pages with clear and engaging and interactive material that is appropriate in its scope.
  6. Provides for feedback

I joined Kahn Academy and Northshore Technical Community College

Kahn Academy really offers interactive support for students developing in a subject and practice for those who are achieving at a higher level. 

In addition to introductory science courses, speaking to my subject area, Northshore tackles grammar, writing, reading , and college mathematics readiness courses that all students need to be successful. We are all reading, writing and arithmetic teachers to some degree.

As a Digital Citizen it is my responsibility to make the process of joining a DLC more appealing to and easier for students? I can do this by simply letting them know what their options are and provide time for them in class early on to develop the skills they need to feel confident in seeking out those communities that will enhance their learning experience now and forever. I can created and develop a DLC for my own classes and direct them to other sites that they may find beneficial. I can encourage communities in the classroom by offering opportunities for students to discuss and share their finds and personal experiences with DLC’s.