Synchronous Vendor Market

I selected the BigBlueButton (BBB) Live Session Application for my test run. Having had a lot of experience with commercial applications like Adobe Classroom, I was surprised to find BBB is very similar and can readily be modified to meet the needs of any delivery protocol. Oh…and…it’s free! This type of delivery would be beneficial for direct instruction, tutoring sessions, homebound student live sessions, academic group meetings, and for professional development.

This type of delivery would be beneficial for direct instruction, tutoring sessions, homebound student live sessions, academic group meetings, and for professional development.

I expected the application to be less flexible because it is an open source free platform, boy was I wrong. BBB is every bit as user-friendly and feature-filled as some of the commercial products I have used. Good to know! I did not have any issues per se’ except with the microphone, I continued to pick up voices even with my external microphone muted, until I realized the default is the internal built-in mic, something to keep in mind! I also found the screen share a little limited. I use multiple screens. I’d like to choose which screen to share. Neither issue would be a show stopper and I am sure a few more minutes of practice would sort those bugs out!

I easily implemented the tools, like the assorted templates for the meeting space, the whiteboard and presentation upload. Those make customizing a session quick and easy. I like that the tutorial videos were up and ready to go for the person joining as a default. Overall, I find the BigBlueButton software to be every bit as good as some of the commercial options, certainly, for one teacher, BBB has everything I could possibly need.

The recording of my practice session is here BigBlueButton Playback, along with the link to the BigBlueButton Site!